Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Content but Progressing

I am working on an odd mix of things.  Learning to be content, yet pushing forward to be a better version of me.

I am trying hard to be happy and thankful right where I am: with my job, my family, my apartment, my car... staying where my feet are, if you will. 

Yet at the same time, I am making some radical changes in order to be "better" (for lack of a better word).  I am learning as much as possible at my new company, and looking for opportunities for advancement.  I am trying hard to make my relationships better and stronger, but set boundaries that were never put in place before.  I am decorating my apartment and making it a space I am proud of and comfortable in.  I am saving money for a new (to me) car, and paying off my debt as fast as possible.

The biggest change I am making is with my health and physical appearance.  As Josh puts it, we are working toward "Josh and Jennifer: Honeymoon Version 2.5"  haha.  That cracks me up every time.  As we move toward marriage, we are each focusing on making ourselves the best gift we can possibly be.  Not only do we want to look our best for the other, but we want to have an active and healthy lifestyle and be able to do the things we have been limited from doing in the past.

In doing this, I am trying hard to focus on the small victories.  I tend to get too focused on the big picture and to be disappointed when I don't make the best choices, or when I don't see results as quickly as I had hoped.  So, for today, here are the wins:

  • I took back a shirt that didn't fit, and had $15 toward groceries.
  • I researched car insurance to find a cheaper quote, since I am about to go on my own plan.
  • I did my quiet time this morning.
  • I prayed for Josh, doing the day 1 challenge that I mentioned yesterday
  • I bought healthy snacks for our Thanksgiving trip next week.
  • I ate a healthy lunch! (Only 6 WW Points)
So for today, I am celebrating the little victories.  I am allowing myself to be proud of the seemingly silly things, and I am enjoying the change of attitude that pride brings about.

As Truvy says on Steel Magnolias, "Smile! It increases your face value."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com