Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Great Unknown

This is what I've been staring at the past few days.

Grad School

More precisely, an Alternative Masters in Secondary Education: English/Language Arts.

I think I want to be a teacher when I grow up.

But then, there's this great war within me.  A degree will take at least 2 years to complete.  I will be almost 28.  And while 28 is not old, it sounds old right now.  Shouldn't I be having babies and starting a family, not pursuing an advanced degree and beginning a new career?

What if I put all that time and money into a Masters' only to teach for a year or two and then leave to have a family?  Do I want to leave children with a sitter or at a daycare?

I'm not happy at my job now... I long to do work that matters.  And while I know that my work does matter, it doesn't fill my heart with joy or keep me awake at night.  The more I think about what I love, the more I think about teaching.  I miss the students, the interaction, the mentoring, the teaching.  My question is, does this translate into a job?

Do I suck it up, put on my big girl panties, and be thankful for the good job that I have?  My heart longs to be home... to cook and bake and organize and sew and take care of my home and my family.  And yet, I know this isn't practical or feasible. 

At the same time, I know that I am gifted in certain areas, and I want to use those talents.  Not just sit at a desk all day under fluorescent lights, staring at dual monitors.  So where's the give?  What's the answer?  Do I continue with my laborious application process?  What a strange debate, and one I never thought I'd have...

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

I totally "get" what you're feeling! I was torn with your situation not too long ago. I figured that having a master's degree may not pay off at first as a future SAHM, but it will later on. Maybe you could go back to work after your children are grown. An advanced degree would help you get back on your feet after a hiatus.

jenniferchristine said...

What did you decide to do? And are you wanting to be a SAHM too?

Tiffany Anne said...

I thought you were a teacher before, do you not actually have a degree in it?

I never in 1 million years saw myself as the stay-at-home-mom type, and look at me now! It was definitely a big, prayerful decision, but I have no regrets!!!

Will keep you in my prayers, for God to reveal His design for your life to you!

Lindsey said...

I just saw your reply! My husband fully supports me in being a SAHM one day. I am currently wavering on my decision though since I now have a job working for my cousin. I like what I do, but will see if I can work at home when that time comes. I decided not to pursue a Master's degree since I haven't made up my mind on a concentration.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com