Thursday, June 5, 2014

Questions

I've started reading Jesus Feminist by Sarah Bessey.  I'm only in the very first chapter, but I am approaching it with open eyes and ears.  I have struggled with a woman's "place" in the church... in the body... so often we are relegated to nursery workers or food preparers, neither of which is a bad thing or an unholy calling.  But what if those boxes don't fit everyone?  What if we were meant for more?  For the other?
I'm not sure.  I'm searching and asking.  But I am tired of making crafts and having spa nights.  There has to be more for the church to offer a woman.

I read this today, and it really spoke to me.

Dorothy Sayers from Are Women Human


"Perhaps it is no wonder that the women were first at the Cradle and last at the Cross.  They had never known a man like this Man - there never has been another.  A prophet and teacher who never nagged at them, never flattered or coaxed or patronized; who never made arch jokes about them, never treated them as "The women, God help us!" or "The ladies, God bless them!"; who rebuked without querulousness and praised without condescension; who took their questions and arguments seriously; who never mapped out their sphere for them, never urged them to be feminine or jeered at them for being female; who had no axe to grind and no uneasy male dignity to defend; who took them as he found them and was completely unselfconscious.  There is no act, no sermon, no parable in the whole Gospel that borrows its pungency from female perversity; nobody could guess from the words and deeds of Jesus that there was anything "funny" about a woman's nature."

1 comments:

Lindsey said...

I agree with you. It is a totally different scenario for women searching for their ministry in the church! It's hard enough for women to be in control of taking care of your family at home and having the exact same expected of you at church (cooking and kids/nursery, etc). We all have different callings and it would be great if more churches would recognize that.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com